Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"Building young lives, one dog at a time"

This is my blog, and I'll do what I want with it. So, I'm going to post a fundraising letter, in hopes that you will be moved enough to donate.


Hello Friends,

It’s that time of year again. K9 Connection’s Softball Fundraiser is ON!

I try really hard all year not to solicit funds for too many events, in the hope that I can wrangle up strong support for K9 Connection. I hope you appreciate that and will donate accordingly. J

K9 Connection, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit project of OPCC, brings the magic of dogs and kids together by educating and inspiring high risk youth through bonding with and training homeless shelter dogs in basic obedience and assisting dogs in the development of skills necessary to become adoptable. The program empowers at-risk teenagers to apply the lessons learned to their own lives as they teach the dogs; to develop an awareness of the risks of uncontrolled or impulsive behavior, and to believe in the power of positive reinforcement as an alternative to force and violence. K9 Connection aids teenagers in becoming responsible community members by focusing on goal setting, personal accountability, and personal motivation.

They’ve upped the ante this year and are shooting to raise $25,000 (up from $10,000 last year). It takes $10,000 to run just one of their intensive three-week programs. During each program the teens learn to set and achieve goals for themselves and their dogs, in addition to developing empathy and compassion for others, both human and animal.

Last year, you answered my request, and helped raise almost $2,000 (we blew the other gamers out of the water – I was the top fundraiser! I am keenly aware that this was because of YOUR generous support). I’m hoping that this year we can double that!

Here's what we can do to help this wonderful organization:

  • Donate online through the website at


  • Give me a check (made out to K9 Connection)


  • Mail a check directly to the k9 connection office (1453 16th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90404. Mention me in the memo/notes section so that I get credit for the pledge)


I’m fully aware that the economy isn’t the greatest right now, and that your budget might be very tight. Just remember that any donation, no matter how small, is helpful and greatly appreciated. I find in times of restraint and worry, it’s best to just donate with reckless abandon. It’s good for your heart.

I would also really love some company at the game. It’s a fun day in the park with food and you can bring your (well-behaved, leashed) dog. $20 will get you a "seat" at the game. $100 will get you in the game. Either will get you my undying gratitude. It’s set for June 27th in Cheviot Hills (Rancho) Park (2551 Motor Ave., Los Angeles, CA).

If you don't have the funds now, that's ok - you can still help by spreading the word! Send this email to anyone you think would be interested and please visit www.k9connection.org to see all the wonderful things they do!

Love,
R

P.S. – If you do donate, please let me know. I want to be able to thank you and keep you updated on the $25,000 goal!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment